Ladies! Are you thinking of styling your pubic hair, but not quite sure just how you want it to look? Then let me guide you through the pros and cons of the 4 most common pubic hairstyles. This is not intended to be an exhaustive guide – there are some very creative girls who are skilled with a razor! – but an introduction to the most common shapes out there.
First off, we have au naturel – pubic hair that is completely untrimmed and unshaven. This is the most common pubic hairstyle worldwide, and it is the default style we all start out with. Sure, some women have more or less than others, but the full bush is what you get if you let it grow.
- The natural look is easy to maintain, as it requires no time or expense
- Without any maintenance, your unruly hair will stick out of the edges of your swimsuit and underwear
- All that hair will trap more sweat and bacteria, which leads to odor issues
- It is messier during your period, especially if you use a pad
- A full bush is a turn-off to some
So if you never go swimming, you are on a tight budget, or you are very busy, natural pubic hair may be the way to go. Many women let their pubic hair (along with their leg hair) grow out during the winter, when they aren’t wearing anything revealing in public. It probably keeps you a little bit warmer too!
Next is the bikini line trim. For this style, you shave or wax the hair that would stick out of a bikini and trim the rest with scissors or clippers for a neat, clean look. This is the second most popular of the pubic hairstyles because it is fairly quick and easy to do at home.
- Bikini line trims are the easiest style to create
- You have a lot of options – shaving, waxing, epilating, depilatory cream – for your bikini line since you aren’t removing very much hair
- Doesn’t cost much, since you already have a razor and scissors
- Depending on the method you use, it can take frequent trimming
- Some of the same mess & odor issues as natural pubic hair, although not as bad
Bikini line trimming is probably the best way to go if you are thinking of styling your pubic hair but don’t know where to start. I recommend using a combination hair trimmer/shaver so you can do everything at once with one tool – it’s easier (and safer) than using scissors and a razor.
The Brazilian is for those ladies who don’t want any hair at all down there. With this style, all of your pubic hair is either waxed or shaved off for a bald look. A full Brazilian will even remove the hair from your bum crack! Brazilians (the name comes from seven Brazilian sisters who opened a salon in New York City in the 1980s) have become more common in recent years, especially after they were featured on Sex in the City.
- You can wear any style of swimsuit you want without worrying about hair
- This is the cleanest pubic hair style, since there is no hair to trap sweat, germs, or odors
- Bare skin is more sensitive, so sex will feel better
- The Brazilian takes more time to create
- If you shave, you are more likely to get razor burn and ingrown hairs over the larger area
- If you wax, it can be expensive and it will hurt
- Some people are turned off by the bare look
Last, but certainly not least, is the landing strip (hey, where have I heard that name before…?) A landing strip is similar to a Brazilian, but it leaves a thin strip of hair in place just above the vagina.
- You can wear just about any type of swimsuit without worrying about your hair showing
- There are fewer mess & odor problems
- The landing strip won’t turn off anyone who thinks a bare vulva makes you look like a young girl
- The landing strip can be time consuming and painful
- It can be hard to get the shape just right
I think the landing strip is the best option if you want to be able to wear any swimsuit without showing off your pubic hair. And if you don’t mind a little bit of pain or cost to get the right look.
In my next post, I’ll feature four much less common pubic hair styles and how they compare to the full bush, the bikini line trim, the Brazilian, and the landing strip.